Friday 20 September 2013

Is Scary Sexy?

There are so many great classics out there - many that have been read over and over. Some, such as Pride & Prejudice, Phantom of the Opera, or Wuthering Heights just scream romance - even if they are tinged with melancholy. (Pssst - these classics are available in the Clandestine Classics library at this very moment - you should take a peek!) But what about other stories where the themes center more on the macabre? Is there any way that those could be considered romantic?

Personally, the most romantic horror classic to me has always been Dracula (uh, yes - also available!) There's just something about the original, sexy vampire that does it for me. Gary Oldman helped too. *grin* But there are plenty of other stories where you might wonder how anyone could find the romance in them. I suppose that would depend on what you considered romantic.

Not everything related to romance has to be mind-blowing, off the hook sweaty sex with muscle-bound studs - although - that's good too. For me, what is really sexy is that feeling of being so lost to another person emotionally, that they are all that you see. You want them to be happy, and you want to be there with them no matter what. So sometimes, the scary stories can be very sexy. The fear of whether or not these two people can overcome something horrific to get to their happily-ever-after can be very compelling.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is scary in a more wink-wink type of way. Irving was more of a satirist in some ways. So when I wrote my parts to the story, I needed to stay true to his original voice, which was more of a lighthearted romp, than a nightmare inducing tale. Within a few months, I will have another classic coming out. I can't reveal which one it is yet, but I can promise you that there will be suspense and terror in it. Oh - and lots of romance too.




No comments:

Post a Comment